Destruction, rebuilding and use as a convalescent home
The imperial high point was followed by disaster: A fire destroyed most of the hotel in 1912. A year later, on 1 August 1913, the foundation stone was laid for a new building. It contained 45 guest rooms, some with bath and WC, on the upper floor the residential area for the family running the hotel and staff, and a ballroom. The hotel was reopened on 26 May 1914 after ten months of construction work and was now called “Kurhotel” (spa hotel). Five years later it again received famous guests. The author, Thomas Mann, and his publisher, Samuel Fischer, enjoyed the summer freshness here far from the large cities of Munich and Berlin.